"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult, and left untried." - G. K. Chesterton

Friday, June 8, 2012

How God Tricked Me Into Enjoying the Monster Truck Rally

I learned an important lesson in expecting God's goodness last weekend from the monster truck rally. Somehow before I fully appreciated what I was getting myself into I volunteered myself to sell peanuts at the monster truck rally. I told a friend I would do it in order to raise money for his ministry. Well afterwards I started thinking about what exactly I had volunteered to do. I envisioned myself having to hawk peanuts in the stands full of drunk people at a loud monster truck rally. I thought about how sick I had been all week and how I had no energy to haul peanuts up and down the stands. I thought about how repugnant the idea of a monster truck rally seemed.

Then I started to try and back out of the commitment with God. Unfortunately they had just enough people and I could not back out. Every time I prayed about it God said, "Please go to the monster truck rally." I was telling God that when I said I wanted to go on adventures with Him, I did not have a monster truck rally in mind.

I arrived at the monster truck rally to discover that my first apprehension was not a reality. I did not have to hawk peanuts in the stands. Rather I was going to sell candied almonds and pecans at a vendor's stand. I ended up at the club level with this energetic high school kid. I learned how to make the nuts and use the cash register. I scooped rather normal people ice cream. It was fun. I got to appreciate what it takes to run a small business. But most of all I just had fun with this goofy guy who talked non-stop and reminded me what it was like to be fun in high school. I remembered I WAS fun in high school. It was nice to feel fun.

I even liked watching the monster trucks. They flip over and it's pretty cool.

So at the end of the day I realized God got me. He tricked me into having a really fun time when I thought I would be miserable.

I realized that I really can trust God to give me good things. Lately He's been talking to me about having a "surprise." I have been fearful of this surprise, thinking that past life surprises have not been all that pleasant. But then I hear my friends tell their 3 year old that they have a surprise for him. It's never a shot at the doctor's office or nasty medicine. It's always something he'll like, such as a parachute man, or a popsicle, or a new water toy for the yard. So why would I expect less from my Daddy God? After the monster truck rally I decided to expect good things from God that I will enjoy, even if it appears like something that I might not immediately like.

Matthew 7: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 


No comments:

Post a Comment