"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult, and left untried." - G. K. Chesterton

Monday, January 10, 2011

All beginnings are hopeful!

"All beginnings are hopeful!" was spoken by the president of Oxford University to the entering freshman class of 1944- in the middle of a world war.

To give credit where it is due, and so you don't think I'm more creative than I am, I actually read that in a workbook called "48 Days to the Work You Love." It was sitting on the dresser in my room when I got here. (Not as a hint either- my friend's mom just started a new career.)

Anyway, I'm sure we have all noticed that it's a new year. I don't have anything profound to say about the new year that hasn't already been written in devotionals, preached in sermons, or mentioned on a morning show. But I would like to share something about how I'm choosing to view my new year.

I have a new journal. I don't know about you, but to me journals are deeply meaningful. I choose each new one carefully, looking for evidence of what life will contain by the design of the cover. Last year's journal had a butterfly on it and the Scripture from Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Indeed the theme of last year was hope. At times it was difficult to remain hopeful in the midst of trials and sorrow, but through it all God remained faithful and moved me closer toward healing and freedom.

As soon as I saw my new journal I immediately knew it would serve as the definition for the new season of life. It is blue with a gold embossed shadow of a tree limb and flower with a yellow sunburst framing a blue butterfly with wings outstretched. In the middle of the golden framing is the solitary word "BEGIN."

Many of my journals are covered with butterflies. I love butterflies for their grace and dignity, but also because of the Christian symbolism of being a new creation. I love the hope that comes from the words of Christ in Revelation, "Behold, I make all things new!" (Revelation 21:5, KJV)

The cool thing about this journal, which distinguishes it from any journal I've ever had before, is that it has no lines. At first I was intimidated by this. "Can I write straight?" I asked myself. But indeed, I am for the most part good at writing straight. (Unless I'm writing on a board on the wall and then I think I write slanting upwards- doesn't that make me an optimist?) Anyway, after a slight hesitation, I quickly embraced the lack of lines. I realized that for the first time my journal can not only contain my written thoughts, inspiring quotes, and Scripture verses, but also drawings and pictures! I am not very artistic, but for once I was inspired to start drawing rough diagrams with stick figures and drawings using colored pens and highlighters! I started putting dreams, visions, and insights to paper which never would have fit in the lines.

And as I'm reassessing my calling, trying to discern where the Lord would have me spend my life, and remembering that I'm a competent person with many gifts and abilities, I'm trying to view my life without lines- without the restrictions and limitations placed on me by myself and others in the past.

Indeed it is a new year, and all beginnings are hopeful! If you are in Christ, your entire life is made new- so take this opportunity of a new calendar year to really search for why you were created! And see your life through the eyes of Christ who removes all the barriers and limitations placed on your life.

2 Corinthians 5:16-17: Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it! (The Message)

1 comment:

  1. That's my favorite phrase in Indonesian: "mari kita mulai" - let us begin. :)

    ReplyDelete